Ramsey Winch History

Ramsey Winch is a leader in the manufacturing of hydraulic and electric, worm gear and planetary winches, and planetary hoists. They are well known for durability, dependability, quality and endurance in products that are manufactured with premium materials and by highly trained engineers.

In 1944, toward the of World War II, two brothers named Claude and Rayburn Ramsey founded Ramsey Brothers Tool and Die in Tulsa, OK, and manufactured parts, tools and dies for Douglas Aircraft Company.  This proved to be very lucrative for the brothers, as the demand for aircraft parts was extremely high for the war abroad.

With the end of the war in 1945, there was a sudden decline in the need for aircraft parts.  Claude Ramsey moved on to design a new front-mounted winch to be used on trucks on passenger cars, called the Model 101.  It was a crankshaft operated winch enabling users the ability to pull vehicles out of mud and snow.  It quickly became the mainstay of the towing and recovery industry.  With the great success of the Model 101, the company name was changed to Ramsey Brothers Winch Manufacturing Company in 1947.

In 1950, Claude Ramsey bought out his brother’s interest in the company, and changed the name to Ramsey Winch Company.  The company was then incorporated in 1959.  The company grew and flourished, and in 1978, Claude Ramsey’s son, Bill, succeeded his father as the sole owner of Ramsey Winch. 

Bill Ramsey was proud of his father’s legacy, and continued to grow the company by supplying winches worldwide to a variety of markets.  In 1980, the company moved into a new state-of-the-art, 132,000 square foot facility in Tulsa, OK, with plant operations and office complex.  The year would also mark the company’s 35th anniversary, and the new facility was dedicated to their founder, Claude Ramsey.

In 1987, The International Towing and Recovery Hall of Fame inducted Claude Ramsey as the first member who was not actually a part of the towing and recovery industry.

Ramsey Winch Company, Inc. continued a path of excellence with the creation of a wide array of 4-wheel drive and ATV products, including its industry - leading winches for front mount self-recovery, industrial, and ATV applications, as well as a line of towing winches, ropes fairleads, winch covers and wireless remote controls.  The company would eventually become a subsidiary of Ramsey Industries, Inc., creating a global brand that would become a market leader in supplying towing and recovery, and industrial OEMs.